Mission Overseas 'PRAYERLINE'
Wednesday, 30th July 2014
Click on these links for further information on Countries, Partners and People.
Printable versions of Prayerline (2 A4 sides) Word| Pdf
Naomi Keefe arrived safely in Ireland last week on home assignment. During August, Naomi will be spending time preparing for deputation in September and early October, as well as undergoing health checks, debriefings and spending time with family.
- Give thanks that Naomi had a safe journey to Ireland.
- Remember Naomi as she undergoes health check-ups and debriefings and prepares for a busy schedule of deputation meetings.
- Pray too that Naomi will also be able to relax with family and build up her strength again.
Colin and Marjorie Dickson arrived home safely on Monday evening (28th), having completed their six month assignment at Torre del Mar Evangelical Church, near Malaga in southern Spain.
- Give thanks for Colin and Marjorie’s faithful service and pray for them as they settle back in Ireland.
- Continue to remember Steve Anderson, as he begins his new role in leading the congregation in Torre del Mar and continues to settle into life in Spain.
Alan and Tracey Johnston are continuing to adjust to life and work in Porto Mantovano, in northern Italy. Due to the hot weather over the summer, many of the congregation of Sola Grazia are currently on holiday in cooler areas. Alan and Tracey have been blessed numerous times by invitations to dinner and have been returning the favour as they get to know people.
- Pray for Alan and Tracey as they continue to adjust to life and work in Italy and get to know people.
- Pray for Alan as he preaches on Sunday mornings, even though numbers are low.
- Pray for various members of the church who are away, that they will return rested and refreshed for autumn work.
This week, a Bible Club is being held in the village of Mera where Ilona Veres works, with the help of a team from the Swiss Reformed Church. The theme for the Bible Club is ‘All Change’ and they will be looking at different characters whose lives were transformed by Jesus.
- Pray that each of the children attending will be transformed by Jesus.
- Pray too for strength and energy for Ilona and the team leading the Bible Club.
Next week, (Monday 4th to Friday 8th August), Ilona will be on a study week with the Diakonia Mission, completing the second part of a course in special education with Roma children.
- Pray for energy and alertness to study during the hot summer weather.
The Annual National IKE Youth Festival is due to start this Saturday, 31st July. This year the motto for the Festival is‘Closer to you Lord’ and teaching and workshops will reflect the theme. Youth groups from all over Transylvania attend this four-day event.
- Pray for the final preparations for the IKE Festival and that it will run smoothly.
- Pray for clear teaching at the festival and powerful times of worship and for the young people to sense the power and presence of the Lord and to submit to His purpose for their lives.
The MH17 plane disaster and the ongoing conflict in Ukraine continues to hit the news headlines. Jenni Morren (nee Wolfe), who served through PCI in 2009/10 with the Hungarian Reformed Church in Transcarpathia in west Ukraine, reports that many of her friends in Transcarpathia are asking for prayer. They report that Ukrainian soldiers are coming into villages collecting men to go to fight in the east of the country giving them no choice, and that women are protesting and blocking roads into the villages to prevent strangers getting in and taking the men who are scared to leave the house or go out at all.
- Pray for an end to the fighting and for diplomatic efforts to succeed in bringing a swift, peaceful and just end to the crisis in Ukraine.
- Pray for the men who are being forced to go and fight.
- Pray for safety of the women and children protesting.
- Remember our partner church, the Hungarian Reformed Church in Transcarpathia in the west of Ukraine at this difficult time.
The conflict in Syria continues daily bringing suffering and hardship to local people. Also over the past month the ongoing tensions between Israel and Gaza have intensified and it is believed more than 1,200 people have been killed on both sides, with the vast majority being Palestinian civilians.
- Pray for all those suffering as a result of the ongoing conflicts in the Middle East. Remember especially those who are mourning and those who have fled their homes due to the conflicts.
- Pray that sufficient humanitarian assistance and medical help will reach all in need.
- Pray for all efforts to bring a ceasefire and a peaceful end to each conflict.
- Pray for the National Evangelical Synod of Syria and Lebanon (NESSL) - our partner church, especially for its leaders and pastors as they seek to provide godly leadership at this time and help those in need.
Gary Reid is continuing to suffer from pneumonia, but thankfully his condition has improved.
- Continue to pray for Gary and the Reid family at this time. Pray that Gary will continue to improve and that he will soon be back to full health and strength.
Stephen Cowan sends the following prayer requests from Tuum in northern Kenya:-
- Give thanks for a continued absence of cattle rustling which has allowed grazing of pastures previously unutilized due to insecurity.
- The monthly teaching time for July is taking place this week and despite another market day in Tuum on Monday, there was good attendance. Pray that closed minds will be opened and changed by the Word of God.
- Continue to pray for the preparations for youth camps, which will start on Saturday evening 9th August evening led by a team from Waringstown Presbyterian Church.
- Pray that young people will learn that following Jesus is not about simply having a better life, but that they develop a passion to serve.
- Pray for all aspects of leadership development locally, that those in leadership will serve well and set good examples.
ASIANS in the UK
Sadly Nivedita Benjamin’s older brother Shashikantbhai Christian in Borsad, India has been critically ill.
- Pray for his healing and for his famil, especially Nivedita at this difficult time.
Peter and Valerie Lockwood, along with their three children are due to return to Nepal this weekend following a short home assignment.
- Give thanks for the time they have enjoyed in Ireland with family and friends.
- Pray that the family will have a safe and trouble-free journey to Kathmandu.
- Remember them as the settle back into life, work / school in Nepal over the next few weeks.
John Doherty reports, “Through the media, we are well aware of the threat posed to Christians by Islamic extremists in Iraq and the horrific executions in recent weeks. Our colleagues there report “So many Christians are arriving here in Erbil – the capital of Iraqi Kurdistan – that the government is saying that it won’t be able to meet all their needs. We are trying our best to provide practical aid, including food packages and medicine, and Scriptures to give them spiritual support, but there isn’tenough for everyone. Kurdistan has enjoyed relative peace and prosperity… and religious harmony for a number of years.”
- Pray that the people of Kurdistan will have compassion on the refugees and the Bible Society staff will be enabled to provide practical and spiritual aid.
- Pray that the Bible Society team will be kept safe as they bring help to these traumatised people.
- Pray also for our colleagues in the three Bible Societies (Israeli BS, Palestinian BS and Arab-Israeli BS) in areas most closely affected by the continuing violence between Israel and Gaza. They continue to witness for Christ amid the continuing loss of many lives.
Prayerline is available via e-mail but ONLY to members of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland.
Click here, if you would like to sign up to receive a copy of Prayerline each week by email.
Prayerline is also available as a recorded message, normally in a shortened version.
To listen to the latest recording, from NI dial 9041 7308; from ROI, use prefix (048).
Thank you for sharing in the ministry of prayer
Events | News & Information | Give | Go | Pray | Deputation